Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tripping the Light Fantastic

I am bursting with pride today. No, it doesn’t have anything to do with MO’s selection of art for the Big White. We’ll cover that later. Not that it’s unimportant, but the big news making me swell with pride is the announcement that three of my creators have been awarded a Nobel Prize. Congratulations Dr. George Smith, Dr. Willard Boyle and Dr. Charles Kao!

 They helped develop fiber-optic cable and invented the "eye" in digital cameras — technology that has given rise to film-free photography and high-speed Internet service, revolutionized communications and science, and utterly transformed the way we live, work and amuse ourselves.

Without them and their nanotechnology work with pixels, lenses and sensors would I be able to to this?opra2michelle o photo or this?  mi photoshp2 

michelle arms

Of course, I can use my powers for michelle-obama-armsgood or evil.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks guys. Without you, I’d be back in the Smithsonian and Mo would be on her own. Come to think of it, none of us would even be here.

Update: Al Gore has announced that he’s quite certain that one of these three men is his birth father, stating that he has just recently been presented with the inconvenient truth that he had been adopted by his mother and Senator Gore.

I have two things to say in response to his allegation: Al didn’t have anything to do with inventing the internet. He has invented a lot of things, like global warming, but the internet is – shall we say – above his pay grade. And secondly, I am in no way related to Al Gore.